Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Spiritual Light Piercing Uptown

Saturday night September 17, at 7:25 PM, the  followers of Christ known as the "Jesus Freaks" once again were fervently in pursuit of rescuing the lost souls through the word of God. The leader of Jesus Freaks, Mike Karlstad asked me to join him in God's mission to testify the Truth to those who are spiritually bankrupt. I met some other faithful believers such as Cathy and Dan and their two wonderful daughters, Katie and Ellie. There were also some other faithful and committed believers, Gail and her two children, Joshua and Hannah. Scott another humble member of Jesus Freaks was present as well.

We all prayed before we dispersed in different directions to feed the word of God to hungry and destitute souls. Mike and I started walking with great energy and enthusiasm.
The streets were congested with diverse group of people that were occupied with their daily routines without being conscious of their death and seemed unconcerned with respect to where they'll be after they die. I sighed  as I continued walking on the side walk on Lake Street and all of a sudden, I was urged by the Holy Spirit to stop and do another prayer.

Mike was passionately involved in handing out the tracts to the passers by.

I walked to the bus Stop where two middle aged African Americans were waiting for the bus. I got engaged in the conversation with them; they appeared to be receptive of what I wanted to say. Mike started talking to one of them and I continued the dialogue with the fellow who was sitting on the bench. I gave him a brief information about my Islamic background and how God has chosen me through His grace alone by placing my trust and faith in His son Jesus alone. This man was so passionate to hear more. He said "hurry up man, tell me more about Jesus because my bus will be arriving any minutes." I continued talking very fast without taking another breath.  I told him that we all perish and he needs to be born again in order to see the kingdom of heaven. I told him that I was lost spiritually but a few years ago I was led by the Holy Spirit to embrace Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I added,  "we're all sinners and we need to confess our sin before God and humbly ask Him to forgive our sin and lead  us to His son Jesus." I placed my hand on his left shoulder and prayed for his soul. The tears welled in his eyes as he was getting his belongings together to catch the bus.

I also noticed that Mike was on fire for the Lord, his humble demeanor during his testimony was just awesome. I could tell that the Holy Spirit was with him. I continued praying and beseeching the Lord to give me the spiritual stamina to do His mission tonight. I came across a large number of Muslims who seemed to be from Somalia. Through the guidance of the Holy Spirit I approached them and succinctly shared my story with them about my sin and how Jesus saved me. It was imperative for me at that given moment to recite the Quran – to bring to their attention that the Quran also confirms the deity of Christ and His return on earth to render His judgement on humanity. There were two Muslim pastors (in Arabic it's called "Imam") there. They were hesitant at first to allow me to elaborate on the deity of Christ but then, when I started to draw their attentions to the verses (Sura) contained in the Quran which clearly and concisely confirmed that Jesus is Holy, Just, and Sinless. All of a sudden, I noticed they modified their behaviors and became congenial and open to listen to me with a degree of enthusiasm. One of them said, continue brother finish it and we don't have all night here.

I think my unadulterated passions about Jesus and what he's done for me softened their heart. At the end, I appreciated that they gave me the opportunity to share the majestic and the transforming power of the Holy Spirit in my personal life and the redemptive work of Christ on the Cross for those who surrender their lives to Him.

Mike and I departed from there rather urgently because there was a group of Muslim adolescents who appeared to be indignant with me for what I was trying to accomplish.

The night was very fruitful and the Holy Spirit was with us through out the night. Let me tell you something, the God of the bible is an awesome God through whom I have truly found contentment, richness and spiritual salvation.

Furthermore, I am so proud of our Jesus Freaks who relentlessly go out there once a month to share the gospel with the believers and the unbelievers. Each one of them is so committed to serve the Lord without any hesitations or reservations; I am so blessed beyond description to have these courageous men and women in my life and call them brothers and sisters in Christ.

Saturday night was certainly a night that was filled with the power of the Holy Spirit and I know for sure, the word of God has penetrated the hearts and minds of the people that we came in contact with. Those we gave our testimonies to will look back and see the Truth and hopefully the Holy Spirit will draw them to the cross.

At 9:40 PM, we all returned to our vehicles to talk about the night. Let me tell you this: The excitement and joy were written all over our faces; we incessantly glorified God and appreciated one another's fellowship in Christ. I pray that Harvest Bible Chapel continues to grow in Christ and for Christ glory alone. I pray that God continues to bless Pastor Brent's commitment and dedication to the mission of the Cross. I pray that we all as a congregation continue to keep our steadfast faith in Christ alone.



Amen,
Farhad

2 comments:

  1. That was just a little bit of our night. We had talked with so many people. Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing story! I loved this. How brave and how the Lord brings you to just the right people. Of course those teens got upset--you were speaking truth and the enemy wants truth to be kept away from the darkness. I am continuing to pray for your ministry--that you will follow faithfully what the Lord has called you to do. Bless you Jesus Freaks!

      Rachel

      Delete