Thursday, September 20, 2012

Obedience

 This past Friday night it was again time to serve the Lord on the streets of Minneapolis.Our group of 5 Jesus Freaks set out in obedience to share the Gospel with all who would listen.

 I brought my younger brother Eric with me once again so that he could be exposed to the workings of the Holy Spirit.

It was a beautiful night in Uptown and so there were many people on the streets. Our group prayed in the car for the Holy Spirit to guide us and open the hearts of those we would approach.

 My brother and I made our way down Hennepin Ave. I handed out million dollar bills, and 180 DVDs. I met a young man who said that he had studied the bible extensively, and considered himself an atheist. He was very open and we had a great conversation for about a half hour. During that time, I listened to his opinions, and whenever possible, interjected the the importance of the Cross, the blood of Christ as payment for our sins, our need for repentence, and God’s grace. I reminded him that no person could understand all of the reasoning behind God’s workings, and that true Christianity requires faith. I offered him a Bible, and he indicated that he did, in fact own many, and that he would re-commit himself to reading it again.


Towards the end of the night, I was standing on the corner of Hennepin and Lake, and I saw a familiar face approaching. There were people in between us on the corner as he walked by and he recognized me and smiled. Scott Crowell and I had met Mark “Lefty” on the streets of Uptown many months ago. We spoke with him at length regarding his lack of faith as a direct result of his disability. He could not reconcile why God would give him such a lot in life. On Friday night we reconnected, but he honestly admitted that he had not been reading the Bible as of yet, but that he found it very compelling that we continued to bump into each other on the streets. I told him that I was certain God had brought our paths together again.

 It is one of the most rewarding parts of being a Jesus Freak when you meet up with someone on the streets for a second time and catch up with them. It happens more than you would think.

After 2 straight trips to Uptown, I look forward to returning to Downtown, and I look forward to seeing some of the new faces who have expressed interest in joining the Jesus Freaks.

Phil 

No comments:

Post a Comment