Wednesday, October 17, 2012

STREET WALKERS WANTED


Me and the guys … out on the streets … excited to see how God will lead us and what the Holy Spirit will do.  Believe me, I am not a gifted evangelist like Mike, Scott, Cathy and the others. Yet I know without a doubt that I am to with them.

Friday night I’m paired with Jason and Phil. If you keep up with the blog, you know Jason is just on fire to tell people about Jesus. To see him in action is fun. Even if people don’t want to listen to him, they get caught up in his enthusiasm and will engage in a conversation with him. There were a couple of conversations with people who come across as very confident in what they believe (atheist, Buddhist, or a mix of eastern and New Age theology). Jason listens then quickly gets to the heart of where their belief fails them and counters with the logic and truth of the Gospel message.

Phil is just as filled with the Holy Spirit only he is soft-spoken but articulate. God puts into his path those who need to hear his story. I’ve been with Phil before and am amazed at the number of men and women who are touched by his testimony. It happened again on Friday night. The last person we talked to was Keith. He has anger issues, is an addict, has several warrants for his arrest, trying to get his act together but gets kicked down, and has given up on life. I started to talk to him and soon he spilled out his whole story. Phil told Keith how Jesus rescued him from similar situation and Jesus would do the same for him. (Now, let me put your mind at ease – Phil does not have any warrants for his arrest.) I wish I could end the story with Keith then gave his life to Christ but he didn’t. But he may because we gave him the Truth!

What do I do? I listen. I contribute where I’m felt led. I pray. I pray for protection and ears to hear as my partners are talking to the people. As we walk down the street, I pray that He shows us who He wants us to talk to. I pray with some of the people we meet. Quincy was in pain with a toothache so I prayed over him. In talking to Keith, I could relate with some of his issues and was given the words to cut through some of his confusion about who Jesus is.

At the end of the night, I am so thankful that He would include me on His work to sow seeds. It is not by my strength that this is done – only through the Holy Spirit. I just need to agree to show up!

Ladies – we need you out there. Having a woman along side of the guys makes them more approachable. There are times that a woman’s touch is needed. You have gifts that are needed out there. You can see that those who go have different abilities and are used accordingly. If you have any stirring in your heart to see what it is all about, I urge you to do it. Just once. 

Paula

1 comment: