Wednesday, October 3, 2012

a glimpse

We went out on Friday evening to once again let the Holy Spirit work through us, for the glory of God.
  The streets of Downtown Minneapolis were alive with activity. From our first encounter, to our last, it was the most intense evening of witnessing that I have been a part of. We encountered Christians and non-christians alike. We encountered the sober and the intoxicated.

There is really no way to relate to someone the intensity and joy that is the Jesus Freak experience. But it is our role as Freaks to try as best we can to give others a glimpse into the joy that is witnessing to the lost. We hope that if others understand the joy and fellowship that you experience on the streets cannot be replicated in any other type of ministry. It is an interactive experience. Your faith is challenged, reinforced, and strengthened each time you witness in the name of Christ.

I met a local Minneapolis rapper who was selling his mix-tape on the streets. I offered a 180 DVD to a woman sitting with him. He engaged me in a discussion on abortion. He was pro-choice, but open hearing out my point of view. We spoke at length, and I listened to his views, and he listened to mine. We talked for a good 20 minutes. He requested the DVD so he could watch, and he gave me his CD mixtape as a trade. I know that he will watch and be changed.

We met a group of 6 guys at the train station. Most of them were not interested in the Gospel, they believed that the Bible was unreliable, and there were too many versions of the Bible, and they could not believe in something they could not see. But one of them was listening, truly listening. He listened and it was obvious that a seed was planted in him. Understand that within this conversation, it is a big deal for a man like this to even be open to the Word, in front of his friends. It takes courage for that man to do that. That man’s path to salvation may have begun on Friday night. When you see someone take a step towards Christ in that type of situation, regardless of the ridicule he might endure from his friends, it brings you so much joy.

We spoke with many groups. Some were hostile, but we witnessed to them. We witnessed because we did not fear as we know that Christ walks with us and we have the Holy Spirit. All who encountered us, heard the Gospel. For most of these people, they are not at a point in their life where they will go to church. They must first hear the Word.

I also ran into a former college classmate of mine from Metro State. We were in a class together last year. I was so excited to run into him on the street. I handed him a tract, and witnessed the Gospel. He looked at me as if he felt bad for me. He said, “I’m sorry, do you really believe this? Do you really believe Jesus walked on water? Why then can you not walk on water? I used to be just like you…I was an evangelist. No more, I am now an Atheist. There is no God.” He said all of this with a smile on his face. It broke my heart.

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment