Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Block Party!!!



Last Friday night with the Freaks was a party! About 8 college kids showed up to do the work of an evangelist, fulfilling their ministry (2 Tim 4:5).  Before we went out Ross told me, “Dude, I just don’t care anymore. Tonight, I want to be more bold with the Word than ever! I am so fired up!” He was. We all were.

Mitch and Jim accompanied me at first. We prayed over countless people. We proclaimed the gospel to at least 30 people on Friday night. Most were receptive due to our Spirit-empowered boldness. Luke 10:19 was running through our veins, “I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.”

One divine appointment was with a group of four high school students. Because I lived in Tanzania last summer, I could tell immediately they were from East Africa so I said, “Habari ya jioni! Unatoka wapi,” which means “Good evening, where are you from?”  They said they were from Burundi, a country bordering Tanzania. Now we were immediately friends! After sharing Christ with them, they each gave me their cell phone numbers. I plan to bring them to Harvest next weekend!

We also met a man who was waiting outside of a restaurant in hopes that the owner would give him food to bring home to his wife. As I told him about the love of Jesus he asked if we could pray for his daily bread. We did. God answered. Ross and I bought him and his wife dinner that night. Answered prayers are not always supernatural. Many times they are simply through the faithfulness of the Body of Christ.

If you have not gone out with the Freaks, there is a side of God that you have yet to see. If you have not seen broken, homeless, addicted sinners say “amen” to your prayer for God to come in and transform their lives, you are cutting yourself short. Make no mistake, God doesn’t need you to go out. He is going to bring all His children home regardless. But I need to go out. I need to be reminded how powerful the Truth is to convict and transform. I need to be reminded that charismatic urban churches can team with reformed suburban churches and rejoice together as God saves people in front of their faces. I need to go out and get as uncomfortable as possible, for that is when the Comforter shows up (John 14:16 KJV). Trust me, once you go out with the Freaks, Fridays will never be the same! 


In Christ- Christopher Asmus

No comments:

Post a Comment